Having a fun kids party for a birthday is wonderful … and probably something a child will remember for many, many years. (I was fortunate to have parents that allowed me a party every year … and I’m sure I’ll do the same for both my kids.) But there are also a TON of other things one can do to make a child’s birthday special.
Here are some things I did last week to celebrate Henry’s 6th birthday …
1. After I knew he was sound asleep, I decorated his door by hanging SIX balloons by streamers for him to walk through in the morning.
2. I also put up a couple “Happy Birthday” banners around the house to decorate the house and had his presents wrapped and stacked up … as a surprise for the birthday morning.
3. I loudly and dramatically sang him “Happy Birthday!” when I first saw him in the morning. (this got a few eye rolls and a “ma-om!” … but I know he liked it … I did when my mom would do this!)
4. I let him (and his sister) have a cupcake and chocolate milk for breakfast.
5. I played one of his new games with him … giving him my COMPLETE attention!
6. I let him choose where we went for lunch … he choose McDonald’s and to eat in the car (he has always loved this!)!
7. Made 30 cupcakes for him to bring to school!
8. We also let him choose what we were going to do for dinner. Being MY son, he wisely chose a restaurant that is also very close to his favorite place for ice cream!
9. I am keeping the birthday decorations and cards displayed at least for a week after the party!
10. I used some of the party balloons and surprised him by putting them in his bath. (this received the coveted “pause, looked into my eyes, huge smile, big hug” reaction that reminds me what it is ALL about)
I am a FIRM believer that we should celebrate EVERYDAY … and any occasion for special treats and themed fun makes it even better! What special ways do you celebrate birthdays in your home?
The following two tabs change content below.
Laura Hutchison (aka PlayDrMom) is a chubby kid turned competitive figure skater tween turned high school pom pon girl turned MSU Spartan turned grad student turned Mrs. HutcH turned Dr. turned Mom. She adores living in the Mitten, is addicted to Diet Coke, and firmly believes that ice cream is a main food group.