Utilizing the Books of David Shannon in Play Therapy and as Parenting Resources
David Shannon is one of my favorite children’s author and illustrator. I love is simple, child-focused pictures and story contact that is fun, yet usually has a great message for kids. For this reason his books are also wonderful to use in play therapy and as resources for parents. Here’s a list of David Shannon books and the messages within them can be utilized in play therapy and by parents:
- The Rain Came Down … Sometimes when it rains, it pours. Negative attitudes and reactions can cause a chain-reaction. Eventually the storm will end the sun will shine again.
- No, David! … Sometimes kids feel like they are always doing something wrong and getting yelled at. Does that mean that their parents don’t love them?
- David Gets in Trouble … Learning about taking responsibility for one’s actions and apologizing.
- David Goes to School … Great for discussing basic rules at school.
- How I Became a Pirate (by Melinda Long, illustrated by David Shannon) … Wonderful story of amazing imagination, but also briefly touches on the great things about being a kid and being part of a family.
- Pirates Don’t Change Diapers (by Melinda Long, illustrated by David Shannon) … A fun way to talk about adjusting to a new baby in the house.
- A Bad Case of Stripes … This one is great for discussing somatic complaints, school refusal, and the importance of being yourself. (click here for an activity I created to go along with this book!)
Do you have any suggestions of David Shannon books to use as a therapeutic or parenting resource? I’d love to hear them! Please leave me a comment!
The following two tabs change content below.
Laura Hutchison (aka PlayDrMom) is a chubby kid turned competitive figure skater tween turned high school pom pon girl turned MSU Spartan turned grad student turned Mrs. HutcH turned Dr. turned Mom. She adores living in the Mitten, is addicted to Diet Coke, and firmly believes that ice cream is a main food group.
Latest posts by Laura Hutchison (see all)
- Hacked By GeNErAL - August 21, 2015
- ABCs of Easy Crafts for Kids - August 14, 2015
- What is Learned through PLAY - August 12, 2015
- ABCs of Playground Parkbench - August 7, 2015
- ABCs of Encourage Play - July 31, 2015
Thank you so much for always sharing how books can be used in a variety of way to teach our child life lessons. Sometimes it’s so much easier to open up with a book.