I found some great books the other day while at the library that really inspired us to learn a lot more about snowflakes. These are the books …
- Snowflake Bentley, by Jacqueline Briggs Martin … tells the story of Wilson Bentley’s passion for snowflakes, how he photographed their beauty, and revealed that no two snowflakes are alike
- The Secret Life of a Snowflake, by Kenneth Libbrecht … is “an up-close look at the art & science of snowflakes” filled with amazing photos and great facts.
- The Snow Show, by Carolyn Fisher … a fun to read book about how snowflakes are made
- The Story of Snow, by Mark Cassino … discusses the science of snow crystals
A couple of the books describe the different types of snowflakes and how they are formed. So, we waited for the perfect day for fresh snowflakes to fall so that we could catch them on a black piece of paper and study them up close and try to identify what type.
After our careful examination we’re pretty sure these are mainly Stellar Dendrites with maybe a few Stellar Plates mixed in. Pretty cool, huh!
The following two tabs change content below.
Laura Hutchison (aka PlayDrMom) is a chubby kid turned competitive figure skater tween turned high school pom pon girl turned MSU Spartan turned grad student turned Mrs. HutcH turned Dr. turned Mom. She adores living in the Mitten, is addicted to Diet Coke, and firmly believes that ice cream is a main food group.
Latest posts by Laura Hutchison (see all)
- Hacked By GeNErAL - August 21, 2015
- ABCs of Easy Crafts for Kids - August 14, 2015
- What is Learned through PLAY - August 12, 2015
- ABCs of Playground Parkbench - August 7, 2015
- ABCs of Encourage Play - July 31, 2015
Love this book list~ definitely going to check some of these out. Lucy has been very intrigued with snowflakes this winter!
My boys saw a close up picture of a snowflake today and didn’t believe me that that’s what it was! I think this would be a great idea to convince them. Thanks for sharing at the Outdoor Play Party
Aren’t they beautiful?? Thanks for sharing at After School!