What’s black and white and read all over?: Books about PENGUINS!
I love penguins. LOVE LOVE LOVE them! I collect them … well, not REAL ones (I learned that wouldn’t be a good idea from reading Mr. Popper’s Penguins as a child!). I have a Pinterest board dedicated to them (Penguins!). So, it makes sense that I also LOVE books about PENGUINS! Here are some of my favorites …
- Your Personal Penguin, by Sandra Boynton (a sing-songy book about love)
- Busy Penguins, by John Schindel and Jonathan Chester (a board book with simple words and cute photos)
- Without You, by Sarah Weeks (a beautifully illustrated, lovely story of parenting)
- Five Little Penguins Slipping on the Ice, by Steve Metzger (the icy version of 5 Little Monkeys!)
- TACKY the Penguin, by Helen Lester (“Tacky was an odd bird.”)
- Three Cheers for TACKY, by Helen Lester (Tacky tried to fit in the team, but found out that being himself was the best of all)
- TACKY and the Emperor, by Helen Lester (Tacky likes how it feels to be in the Emperor’s clothes.)
- TACKY and the Winter Games, by Helen Lester (Tacky is ready for the Winter Games, but are the Winter Games ready for Tacky?)
- 365 Penguins, by Jean-Luc Fromental and Joelle Jolivet (the penguins in this book really add up … great for math skills too!)
- 10 Little Penguins, by Fromental & Jolivet (Fun pop-up book about penguins)
- Antarctic Antics: A Book of Penguin Poems, by Judy Sierra (Tons of penguin facts within cute poems)
- National Geographic Readers: Penguins!, by Anne Schreiber (Beautiful photos and facts about penguins)
- Mr. Popper’s Penguins, by Richard & Florence Atwater (a classic, Newberry Honor book!)
- The Chilly Little Penguin, by Russell Punter (This little guy is a penguin after my own heart … I LOVE the reason why he wants to warm up!)
- If You Were a Penguin, by Florence Minor (All the fun things you could do if you were a penguin!)
- A Penguin Story, by Antoinette Portis (Edna the penguin goes on a quest to find color)
- Penguin and Pinecone, by Salina Yoon (A story about friendship)
- Lost and Found, by Oliver Jeffers (A penguin finds Oliver … but Oliver takes some time to figure out what he, himself, has found.)
- Up and Down, by Oliver Jeffers (Sometimes it takes being separated to realize how important it is to be together.)
- Penguins!, by Liz Pichon (This is what happens when some penguins at the zoo get ahold of a camera.)
- Penguin, by Polly Dunbar (A little boy receives a penguin as a present)
- Where Is Home, Little Pip?, by Karma Wilson & Jane Chapman (Little Pip wanders far from home.)
- Don’t Be Afraid, Little Pip, by Karma Wilson & Jane Chapman (Little Pip faces his greatest fear … swimming!)
- What’s in the Egg, Little Pip, by Karma Wilson & Jane Chapman (Little Pip adjusts to changes in his family)
- Baby Penguins Everywhere, by Melissa Guion (Being a Mama Penguin is hard work!)
- Baby Penguins Love Their Mama!, by Melissa Guion (Mama’s babies show her their love)
- My Penguin Osbert, by Elizabeth Cody Kimmel (This is what happens when you really get the penguin from Santa that you asked for)
- My Penguin Osbert in Love, by Elizabeth Cody Kimmel (Friends Joe & Osbert have a Valentine’s adventure)
- Penguin in Love, by Salina Yoon (A story about love)
- Little Penguin’s Tale, by Audrey Wood (A fun tale about a Little Penguin)
The following two tabs change content below.
Laura Hutchison (aka PlayDrMom) is a chubby kid turned competitive figure skater tween turned high school pom pon girl turned MSU Spartan turned grad student turned Mrs. HutcH turned Dr. turned Mom. She adores living in the Mitten, is addicted to Diet Coke, and firmly believes that ice cream is a main food group.
Latest posts by Laura Hutchison (see all)
- Hacked By GeNErAL - August 21, 2015
- ABCs of Easy Crafts for Kids - August 14, 2015
- What is Learned through PLAY - August 12, 2015
- ABCs of Playground Parkbench - August 7, 2015
- ABCs of Encourage Play - July 31, 2015
I LOVE penguins too!!! Although, after seeing Mr Poppers Penguins (you know the one with Jim Carrey), I thought it would be great to have pet penguins. Luckily my girls talked me out of that hehe. What a great list, can’t wait to read some of them. Thank you so much for posting.
Do you know Cuddly Dudley by Jez Alborough. He’s a very cute penguin 🙂
OOOh! I’ll have check that one out, Catherine! Thanks for commenting!
I have a new book out it’s called “Mixy” It is about a little girl penguin. I hope you like it. I don’t know how you find the time to do everything you do.