Looking for Leaf Man … September Virtual Book Club for Kids featuring Lois Ehlert
This month the Virtual Book Club for Kids is featuring the beautiful books of Lois Ehlert. I love the way she craftily creates the art for her books using simple materials and shapes. It was hard to choose among the myriad of books we enjoy by her …
But since the leaves are just starting to fall, the kids and I decided to pick Leaf Man. First, we went on a walk to try and find him …
We didn’t find him … but we found lots of interesting things …
… so that we could make our own Leaf people!
Honor’s Leaf Lady
Henry’s Leaf Baseball Player
… and my leaf man, named Smiley.
Honor also created a beautiful nature collage with the rest of our findings …
(For the leaf people and the collage … we used contact paper to stick the objects on and then I covered the creations with another piece of contact paper, sealing the 2 pieces together)
This entire activity was great. I loved reading the book with the kids … exploring the beautiful pictures and finding the “hidden” animals. I loved going on a walk around the block with the kids seeing if we could find Leaf Man … and talking about the wide variety of leaves/trees we have in our neighborhood. I loved watching the kids piece together their very own Leaf People with such care. And they already have been asking to do it again!
Now let’s check out all the other great ideas in the Virtual Book Club for Kids!
We’d love you to join in the fun … Here’s a reminder of what you need to do each month…
- Pick your favorite book by that month’s author (or a new one you want to check out) and read it with your child or class.
- Create an activity, project, craft, cooking project, etc. related to the book and do it.
- Come back and share it with us as part of a big blog hop on the third Monday of the month. The linky will be live for 3 weeks, so if you aren’t ready to post on the exact date… just join in when you can! If you don’t blog, you can share what you did on our Facebook wall, email us, or just comment on the post.
Latest posts by Laura Hutchison (see all)
- Hacked By GeNErAL - August 21, 2015
- ABCs of Easy Crafts for Kids - August 14, 2015
- What is Learned through PLAY - August 12, 2015
- ABCs of Playground Parkbench - August 7, 2015
- ABCs of Encourage Play - July 31, 2015
I love your Leaf people, especially Smiley. What a great idea too to put the leaf people on contact paper!
What a great variety of colours and types of leaves. They look so pretty.
All the leaf creatures are wonderful. I do love the baseball hat.
Leaf Man is a classic and this is a fun extension project. Thanks for linking up to The Children’s Bookshelf.
This is such a lovely way to combine Nature and books. Thank you so much for linking up to Tuesday Tots and wanted to pop by and let you know that I am featuring this tomorrow over on Rainy Day Mum
You leaf creations are adorable. I love how they can look so different, great sibling activity. I bet the Leaf Hunt was so much fun! Thanks for sharing and hosting the Virtual Book Club for Kids.
This is one of our favorite fall books. I cannot believe we have yet to expand on it with a project~ yours is just perfect!! Can’t wait to try it with the kids. Now we just need some leaves to fall… 🙂 Thanks for linking up this week to Discover & Explore!
Chelsey recently posted…Finding Symmetry in Nature (Outdoor Activity for Kids)
Love your leaf people! Thanks for sharing at the Outdoor Play Party.
Jen recently posted…Green Life : A Glimpse into Our Fall Garden