SHARE A SMILE … Operation Smile-a-Thon
Elizabeth from Broken Treasures had this fabulous idea for bloggers to join together to help raise money for Operation Smile.
Operation Smile is an organization that raises money to help fix smiles of children who need it (kids that have cleft lips and/or palates). Spontaneous Smiley and Operation Smile have a partnership to help these kids out and heighten awareness. Spontaneous Smiley is 1000’s of people all over the world who take pictures of Smiley Faces in everyday objects and share them on Spontaneous Smiley’s website.
For this collaborative effort, 8 bloggers are joining together for a “blog style” Smile-A-Thon! Together we are photographing smileys we see everywhere around us and uploading them to the Spontaneous Smiley Website. Spontaneous Smiley donates $1 to Operation Smile for every photo uploaded!
Each life saving surgery only costs $240 and our goal is to raise enough money for FIVE surgeries. We hope you will join all of us in our efforts to raise $1200 by by the end of the March for Operation Smile!
So, how can you help?
1. Look for spontaneous smileys, photograph them and upload the photos to the Spontaneous Smiley website. Make sure to include in the “who are you” section the words “Elizabeth Sent Me”
Here are some great samples of “found” smiles …
2. Sponsor one of our myself and/or a fellow collaborating blogger. Similar to a walk-a-thon we are collecting pledges of any amount per photo we collect and upload. You can contact me or comment below with a pledge amount if you are interested in participating in this way. For example, you pledge to donate 50 cents per photo I collect and I collect 20 photos you would donate $10 to Operation Smile 🙂
Here are the some SMILES I have found (and uploaded with Spontaneous Smiles) so far:
3. You can also print off a sponsor sheet to help raise funds for the cause. All the information you need to collect your own pledges you can find here.
4. Donate directly to Operation Smile here.
I will be participating by promoting the project, finding and sharing/uploading my smile photos on this/my blog and with Spontaneous Smiles, and collecting donations for the Spontaneous Smiles I find. I also hope to include some fun, smiley projects along the way to share!
Some of the other blogs involved are participating in even more …
At the end of the month the Share A Smile Collaborators will be giving away a book, The Smiley Book of Colors, that’s written by the founder of Spontaneous Smiles, Ruth Kaiser. Find more about Ruth on Spontaneous Smiley Website and Facebook, browse her Spontaneous Smiley Shop as well!
Giveaways are going to be happening from now until the 31st! Be sure to check them all out! These giveaways are from The ShareASmile Contributing Bloggers who are very generously donating something related to their ShareASmile project.
March 18th -Broken Treasures giveaway
March 20th – Boo Boo Princess giveaway
March 23rd – Broken Treasures giveaway
March 27th -Broken Treasures giveaway
March 31st – Spontaneous Smiley Book Giveaway
Join us for a Twitter party on Monday, March 26th at 2:00pm EST with #shareasmile Come prepared to share activities, crafts, food, etc. that are smile or spring related 🙂
I hope you will join us, in any of the ways, … and help make someone smile!
Latest posts by Laura Hutchison (see all)
- Hacked By GeNErAL - August 21, 2015
- ABCs of Easy Crafts for Kids - August 14, 2015
- What is Learned through PLAY - August 12, 2015
- ABCs of Playground Parkbench - August 7, 2015
- ABCs of Encourage Play - July 31, 2015
I love your kiwi smile! What fun this will be! 🙂
I think I’m going to look at kiwi differently from now on! Thanks for sharing – we’ll start to look for smiles.
Suzanne recently posted…Food Gets Crafty